As many of you have heard and seen, SoulCycle, the indoor cycling studio, opened its fourth East End output, this May in Montauk. SoulCycle has transformed the old Montauk movie theatre, located at 15 South Edgemere Road, into a 67-bike, 2,900 square-foot studio and the new home to the expansive SoulCycle lifestyle boutique and experience.
Today, over 12,000 riders take SoulCycle classes everyday in the US and beyond. Many look at it as a great way to release stress, burn fat, tone muscle, and change their bodies and lives. The SoulCycle brand experience is high energy, musically driven, results-oriented and community based program. At SoulCycle, riders engage in high intensity cardio (burning between 500-700 calories in 45-minutes), while also toning their upper bodies using hand weights and core-engaging choreography.
As mentioned a moment ago, music can drive the vibe of the class. The tunes can make or break the experience as the class pace and intensity depends on each song. Lindsay Waxer, who will be heading classes everyday at the new studio, gave us an exclusive sneak peek inside of her class by sharing her playlist for their inaugural set of Montauk classes!
“I put together this playlist with Montauk in mind – as if I was going for a run on the beach or sitting by the ocean with some family and friends. It kicks off with some tunes easy on the ear, that at the same time motivate the body to move, but also inspire you to feel good (and perhaps smile? breathe? relax?).”
“As you start to get that feel good vibe and get into the music, the energy kicks up a notch, encouraging both the body and mind to move more freely.”
“Towards the middle and getting closer to the end of the playlist, the energy continues to build and you start to feel AWESOME about your day – thinking about what you may want to do on that warm summer night.”
“I end it all with a chill, cool-down that allows time for awareness and appreciation for the entire musical experience.” — Lindsay Waxer, Instructor
1. “Sweeter” – Gavin DeGraw. This song always makes me feel like I am on vacation and let’s me appreciate wherever I am at that moment (and especially the possibilities of freedom and fun in the sun!)
2. “Free Ride” – The Edgar Winter Group. For some reason this song always makes me feel like it’s summer because of the movie Dazed & Confused – when school get’s let out and the kids go out to play!
3. “FunlNRoll” – Prince. This is a really cool song that makes you want to jam in the summer sun
4. “The Edge of Glory” – Lady Gaga. Being on the furthest edge of Long Island (I think pretty much speaks for itself) – but Montauk truly is one of the most GLORIOUS places on earth
5. “Ghost” – Ella Henderson. Every time I hear this song it gives me the strength and motivation I need to rise above any obstacle that may stand in my way!