When it comes to social media; everyone is using it, so who wants to have a lame account? No one. People ask me for my Instagram handle before my number, and if that’s the same for you, you’ll want to make sure your social media is tight. Without further ado, here are 6 (highly achievable) ways to not suck on Instagram.
1. Have great photos. On social, no matter if it’s business or pleasure, content is king. Amazing content means great pictures, especially on Instagram.
You don’t have to be a professional photographer to take good pictures. Make sure you have good lighting. This is easy when you’re outside, hard if someone has a hat on covering their face with shadows. Here’s a tip: you can always brighten up a picture with the Instagram app. Tap the sun icon in the middle of the screen on the filters screen.
2. Create amplifying captions. Besides having a great photo, you’ll want a caption that enhances it. Ever read @theFatJewish? His memes and photos are great but it’s his captions that always double the laughter!
3. Be unique. Keep it relevant to your authentic voice, or if you are a business, keep in mind to include your brand story. You are an individual unlike any other — bring that to your social media.
4. Consistency (but less is more). Say what? Post on the regular (1-2 posts per day is best practice) but if you don’t have quality content, you don’t even have to post that often. Pro tip: Spare the 4 photo ambush posts that come all at once — it’s the fastest way to annoy people and thus lose followers.
5. Be wise with the hashtag. 1-2 or 6-7 is best practice… I know it sounds random but that’s research. My suggestion would be to keep the # in the comments like this post:
6. Engage. It’s social media! Reply back to people who comment on your posts, and be sure to like and comment on the accounts of people you like or want to build rapport with. See this example? (P.s. that’s me on the board! ?)
Bonus: If all else fails, use pets. They don’t even have to be your own. #DogsofInstagram is probably trending more than humans.
Thanks for reading. Make sure to follow and say hi to me on Instagram @socialdiva.