Let’s keep this simple. We’re looking for someone to help kickstart our content game to the next level. You’re likely a person we would like to have a drink with, otherwise, you wouldn’t be reading this overview on an open position within Whalebone. But are you a person we would like to have a drink with AND work with every day? That means we’d be seeing a lot of each other. Read the below and see if we scare you away.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Don’t suck
- Manage and lead the editorial team for Whalebone Magazine, Whalebonemag.com, and any other published properties of the company.
- Lead all editorial meetings weekly, regularly updating with directors in regard to editorial direction.
- Maintain a high standard of editorial integrity and approach to all communications internally and externally
- Be willing to be duct taped to a chair and played a recording of the Whalebone brand strategy document over and over again for 24 hours straight with AC/DC playing on repeat. Or just understand and get our tone and style might be easier. We can skip the chair thing.
- Develop an annual editorial framework and content strategy for Whalebone’s published properties, and execute on that strategy to meet daily/weekly/quarterly goals
- Develop a comprehensive short and long term editorial calendar and drive weekly meetings, ensuring the sites’ immediate and long term content needs are met.
- Develop, oversee and manage, editorial budget and advise directors if additional budgets/staffing/assistance needed on an ongoing basis, and work within budgets as well as required NDA/releases/and permissions requests from all submitted content.
- Constantly monitor site and editorial analytics, making recommendations and adapting Whalebone’s online strategy where needed to meet traffic targets and exceed industry standards.
- Develop and maintain a global network of high quality contributing writers, photographers and filmmakers.
- Maintain regular contact with contributors and oversee and approve all submissions, undertaking a detailed sub edit of each written piece prior to going live and ensuring all published work aligns with Whalebone’s style, and tone.
- Oversee content and direction for weekly newsletter mail out.
- Work closely with sales, shop, and marketing to integrate required content and Whalebone needs.
- Can recite or appreciate daily references to 80’s movies, 90’s pop culture, good current shows on Netflix and/or anything to do with dragons or lake towns in Missouri
- Work closely with Directors to support, develop and continually evaluate social media strategy and audience development across an ever-changing social landscape.
- Assist with developing ideas, pitching and commissioning branded content features.
- Attend events and relevant promotional events as a representative of Whalebone team.
- Continue to review Whalebone’s offerings, positioning, and packages to ensure we stay current and ahead of the changing media landscape and our dedication to being a fully immersive lifestyle brand.
- Most importantly, execute on content needs of Publisher and directors. We see a video opportunity? Work with them to manage and execute. Swell coming in? Book a photographer/videographer ahead of time. Create and execute.
- Strong communication, organizational, and leadership skills
- Based in NYC beginning October 1st 2017
- Must have gone to one of our events or read our magazine/website/newsletter/social
- Adequate swimming abilities
- Bachelors Degree or great at forging one
- 3+ year experience in content development/management/ass kicking (did you already catch that typo? editing skills recommended as well)
- Understanding of how content is shared and consumed differently across digital, social and mobile platforms
- Ability to use analytics to help drive daily decisions and overall strategy
- Project management experience and experience managing a team of writers and editors
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team and multi-task
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal, written, and karaoke
- Ability to travel if required
- Basic understanding of WordPress and relevant technology to keep current with industry and company standards and strategy
- Don’t forget, no sucking.
If this sounds like you, shoot us a note with “Ready Player One” in the subject line and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to high-fiving some day.